Yeah, yeah. You know Liberty Science Center is a local treasure. Sure, you know it’s a guaranteed hit with kids of all ages. Of course, you remember that long after your legs are tired and you need an afternoon cup of joe, your kids will be begging to stay at Liberty Science Center “just a little longer” because they have to see “just one more thing”. But these days, that one more thing is more like five. So strap on your most comfy walking shoes, do some warm up calisthenics and get ready for Liberty Science Center to once again drop some serious knowledge.
- Don’t miss the Jennifer Chalsty Planetarium. Recognized as the largest planetarium in the Western Hemisphere, the newly opened planetarium is hosting shows, films and laser shows under the giant dome. Wonders of the Night Sky, LSC’s all-live signature show is a 45-minute experience that allows viewers to see the galaxy as it appears to the naked eye, through the eyes of NASA’s robot probes and through the Hubble Space Telescope and other earth-bound telescopes. In the show, To Worlds Beyond, a live presenter shows the audience where the planets are in the night sky that very day, then takes viewers on a soaring 30-minute tour of neighboring planets in our solar system. And for the littlest astrophysicists, One World, One Sky enlists Big Bird, Elmo and their friend from China, Hu Hu Zhu to teach kids about the Big Dipper, the North Star and more. Programs run throughout the day and are available starting at the Combination Pass Level. Reservations are highly recommended for the Planetarium -- tickets can be purchased in advance at LSC.org.
- Keep up your own personal space odyssey with a stop at Space Station Liberty. In this newest We Explore adventure, young learners will be transported to a space station located miles above earth where kids will become astronauts and space scientists. Kids can dress up, control and repair the ship, make discoveries and study space materials. Free with admission. Daily 10:30-12 and 2:30-4. Ages 2-5.
- Chalk up some quality family time with the Family Weekend Exploration Series. Sure it can be nice to sit back and relax while your kids explore their budding scientific curiority but why not get in on the action too? Families will love these upcoming hands-on sessions that explore the topics of coding (Me and My mBot), 3D printing (It’s Morphi Time!), environmental disasters (Oh no, Oil Spill!) and bridge design (Bridging the Gap). Offered on select Saturdays from 10-12:30. $25/pp, $20/per LSC member. Reservations suggested. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 201.253.1310 to reserve.
- Explore the Rails with Thomas and Friends. Climb into Thomas’ cab to toot the horn, solve challenges to become Really Useful, fix Percy’s wobbly wheel, dress as a conductor to sell tickets and make change, and explore the Island of Sodor on a giant Thomas train table. Free with admission.
- Boldly go where no man has ever gone before in The Starfleet Academy Experience. Want to know where you would be stationed on the Starship Enterprise? Complete challenges in Language, Medicine, Navigation, Engineering, Starship Command and Science Corps and your RFID wristband will record your results. Beam yourself onboard from a distant planet in the transponder, indulge in some phaser target practice and make sure to get a photo of yourself in the Captain’s chair. Then at the end, you’ll be given your assignment for all future space flights. Available with a premium ticket.