The New Year is upon us, which means fitness goals and lofty resolutions are floating like helium-filled thought balloons above our heads. Yet in spite of our best intentions… all we really want is to go a little easier on ourselves. Do not fear! It is possible to be kind to yourself—and still get in shape. Instead of asking, “what are you waiting for?” think: “what am I training for?” Here, the top trainers in Bergen give you the low down on their resolutions to get you inspired. Yes, you can do it. Ready, set, 2017!
2. VOLUNTEER. Now that both of our daughters are off at college, I find myself with "some" free time and would love to start volunteering. I am a huge dog person ~ we have two rescues ~ so going to look down that avenue (my poor husband is sure a third rescue dog will be on the way!)
3. READ. I am horrifically guilty of being under read. I'm lucky if I get the NY Post and Daily News in every morning but that's about it.
4. CHALLENGE MYSELF! There is an amazing group of members at Rise who this past year banded together and started to do Spartan races. It sounds so fun and challenging but in all honesty, even after all my years of fitness, I feel quite intimidated. So...with my 50th birthday looming ahead this coming March, I think it may be time to bite the bullet!
Don't get me wrong there are so many wonderful new fitness concepts and training methods around that allows the experience of exercise to be great for every type of person. It's easy to want to dip your toe in everything. However, for me, it's about empowering my clients both mentally and physically, turning them into everyday athletes. Continuing my education in personal training and perfecting that, while staying true to what I am passionate about, is what will ultimately make me an even better trainer and in turn, help my clients reach their goals and be successful.
1. Live for the moment.
2. Laugh as much as you can, as often as you can.
3. Love deeply and love everything around you.
If you have all three of these things in the New Year, you can’t miss on anything you want to accomplish in 2017.
Alexandra Champ is a co-owner and pilates instructor at Jumping Frog in Tenafly, founder and running coach at Learn to RUN LLC and girls LAX coach and co-founder of Learn2LAX.
Drink one gallon of distilled water per day.
Drink five cold press green juices per week.
Diane Hughs Hunt is a nutritional coach and trainer whose motto is “inspiring others to take care of their health" on dianesdailydose.com.