Making New Year’s resolutions might give you a bad case of déjà vu (didn’t you promise to get to the gym more last year?), but that doesn’t mean they’re not worth the effort. We asked moms what’s on their personal improvement lists for 2015 and found easy ways to keep them on track.
1. Getting Fit (and getting more sleep) The wearable tech market is BOOMING, and we think it actually makes working out more fun (?). For moms who don’t want to trade style for tech, check out the Tory Burch collab with Fitbit which combines a wearable piece of Tory-designed jewelry with fitbit’s metrics for measuring steps, distance, and calories burned. At night, it tracks your sleep quality and wakes you silently in the morning ($195 for ToryBurch for Fitbit bracelet, plus $99 for Fitbit Flex insert, available for purchase at fitbit.com) For those looking for value and easy-wearing, check out the new UP Move by Jawbone, which also tracks activity and sleep and is worn as a clip on anywhere you like- plus it comes in multiple colors. ($49.99, Jawbone UPMove, available to order via Jawbone.com)
2. Enjoy life more and spend more time with your family Who’s not into freeing up driving time? Um, didn’t think so. Well, good news. UBER has arrived in Bergen County. The adored app- which has taken the hassle out of booking car services and taxis now has local drivers ready to whisk you and the family off to city day trips and nights out with your pals. (UBER app available for itunes and android)
3. Be mindful Those who want to slow down and be more mindful this year should consider adopting meditation in their daily routine. Everyone from high-powered CEOs to professional athletes are attributing mindfulness to better success and better health. But what to do with all the little voices inside your head? Install a meditation app like The Mindfulness App which gives users options of guided meditation (great for beginners), silent meditation and options for personalizing your experience. It also includes a reminder for when to meditate. (The Mindfulness App, available for Iphone or Android, $1.99)
4. Learn Something New Maybe your goal for 2015 is to learn something new. Budding photographers can master tricks of the trade with photog ace Elise Campbell’s Momtography Workshop which kicks off on January 25th ($159 for new students, sign up here) Or thinking of picking up a paintbrush but don’t know where to start checkout Ridgewood Art Institute’s adult art classes- a jam packed schedule with expert instructors who will teach you basics and let you explore your creative side.
5. Get Organized So you have approximately 2,461 photos on your phone and no hard copies to show for it. Yeah, we hear ya. Fix that now by downloading the Chatbooks or Mosaic App to create beautiful photo albums delivered to you within one week (available for download in Itunes or Google Play) Or use the Printl App which sends you monthly photos of your top 10 instagram posts (proof that you actually did do the ice bucket challenge).